Wednesday, August 8, 2012

So Behind... And Catching Up Doesn't Look Like It Will Happen Soon...

Back to school time is usually filled with excitement and planning for children and parents. That's true in my house as well. All of the school supply shopping has been done, the kids love doing that, and we'll be loading them all up into the brand spanking new back packs in just a few minutes.

The new uniforms have been purchased, dimming the excitement somewhat for all of us. We loathe uniforms, but the school requires them, so what are we gonna do, you know? They've been washed, folded and put away.

Oh, and the boys got fresh haircuts over the weekend. So they will look presentable on the big first day.

So, I'm not behind, it seems on back to school. That's a good thing!

Back to school prep has left me behind on everything else, though!

My house is as close to a shambles as I have ever seen it. I have OCD, so this is not a good thing. It makes me cranky, so I'm short with the boys.

Add to that the fact that I haven't had time to work out in weeks and I'm more cranky. No feel good endorphins from the exercise coursing through my system makes me a less than pleasant person to be around.

I'm behind on my favorite hobby of entering sweepstakes and giveaways, behind on my writing. I've neglected this fledgling blog of mine (in the grand scheme of things, being behind on the blogging isn't huge. It's a new blog and I don't have an a large and active readership clamoring for my next post, but still!) I bought a new book to help teach me about the art of blogging and the technical aspects, too, and it's been sitting here for weeks waiting for me to crack the cover. I'm very motivated to read it, but I'm too exhausted to turn a page or to expect myself to be able to focus on the words swimming on the pages.

Mr. Dimple and Bowser, my youngest boys, are on a short tether, too. Hot, and bored and tired of the insect bites that the summer out here brings, they are more than ready to get back to school.

If I am to be totally honest, I'm way more than ready for it myself.

I'd like to think that I'll be able to catch everything up and get back to my normal routine, quickly, after that first day of school. I'd like to think that, but I just know that it will still be weeks before I am able to get it all together.

Mr. Dimple's ninth birthday is on the 15th of August. I already bought the ingredients for the cake and the presents, but that cake still has to be baked and the presents wrapped. I secretly sigh in relief that we didn't plan a party this year!

I have to catch up on all of the housework that couldn't be done properly with the boys in the house, especially the floors.  The floors are the bane of my existence during the summer. I can sweep them and mop them, but it is utterly impossible to keep them clean for longer than 10 minutes when two active boys are constantly around. If I send them outside so I can mop the wood floors, I can count on them to be waist deep in a pond catching tadpoles and coming in dripping wet and dirty just as soon as I've got the bucket rinsed out and the mop put away. I can't really be upset with them for being healthy, active boys and doing just what boys their age are supposed to do when they live in a rural area... But my heart breaks a little for my poor floor!

There are five sweet little kittens to find homes for in the next few weeks. I foresee quite a few tears shed over that. I've already been asked to keep them all.

With all of that to do, I have all of the regular, day to day, housework and errands to run... And Halloween costumes to plan for and possibly make. And Bowser's birthday is just a few days before Halloween.

Does it sound like I'm whining? Probably... I'm really not, though. I really enjoy this time of year. I enjoy the work and the planning and the mad whirl of excitement that all of it brings. I'm looking forward to Autumn. It's my favorite time of year! And the holidays are coming. We all love the holiday season with the wonderful food and shopping, presents and socializing it brings.

Tomorrow is the first day of school, and the start of great things!


No comments:

Post a Comment